Well, take the good with the bad, right?
Our new insurance company (beginning in Jan '10) does not cover clinical trials either. The only circumstance is when "death is less than 6 months away..." So, we have to convince them that due to the high risk of secondary infection (like the one she just was in the hospital for 5 days with), she could contract MRSA and die at any time, theoretically. That is morbid, but it is also a reality.
As my friend Trevor said, though, "Save your kid first, pay for it later."
Okay, onto the GOOD NEWS:
I just got an email from the Program Supervisor at U of M Bone Marrow Treatment Center, Tim Krepski. We did the HLA Typing test to see if Bella and Ali were a match about a month ago. All it took were a few swabs on the cheek from each and voila! Well, Here is his email:
Just wanted to confirm some good news for you. The tissue typing results are final on Anabella and Alessandra, and they are identical.
I hope that all is well, and we'll wait to hear from you to reschedule your consult here with us.
I think that's a good sign, right?
I am waiting for a call back from Tim to explain it all in further detail. We won't be making plans to go out there till January now since November is already full of travel commitments and Dec is holiday airfare.
Anyhow, we are grateful for this news and feel blessed indeed.
Also, yesterday was Bella's first day at daycare and IT WENT GREAT! They are happy (so far) and we are happy (so far) so, so far so good!
Thanks again for all your prayers and good intentions.