Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 2, 2011: Pack your Bags...

Heaveno!

... but not before you complete your 12 to-do's, take Ali to daycare, pick her up early and taker her to orientation at her new school, play on the gigantic playground at preschool, do laundry, pack, and of course, catch Arsenal coming from behind to beat Everton!

I am still working as I type.

God is good.  God keeps us provided for while my two biggest projects are volunteer work right now.  I am the conference chair for my professional association, and this year, we went electronic with a lot of our processes.  Wow, growing pains.  I probably work 20 hours a week on the conference.  The other time is spent working on this fundraising campaign.  I bill all of 1.75 hours a week right now while we wait for UC Irvine to fund their music therapy program.  I also have two mentors that I do a lot of work pro bono (it is MORE than reciprocated) as well.

So, I am really grateful that God provides Angelique with such a phenomenal job that keeps us safe and secure while I galavant along on my philanthropic horse.  Sometimes, I get a little burnt out; my student loan isn't getting any smaller, and my SEP IRA isn't getting any bigger.  I think I am just tired.  Back to back trips.  Whew.  Not such a great idea for the old candle wick.

Today was really a great day, though.  Watching Ali at her new Preschool play with the other kids right out of the gate like it was NOTHING... priceless.  She is so confident and comfortable around new kids. I love it.  Needless to say, daddy is proud of his little girl.

It's been a lot of fun hanging out with my ladies.  I really missed them.  They are just the joys of my life. Tomorrow and the rest of this 5 day journey is made so much easier by the fact that we are all rolling together.  I frankly CAN'T WAIT to fly with Ali tomorrow.  She has grown and matured so much since the last flight I was on with her; she's like a little adult.

As tired as I am, I am blown away by how blessed my life really is.  Oh sure, I could whine about a couple of petty things, and I still experience the power and intensity of grief, but I don't complain about it.  It's a natural part of life, and to resist life seems a little counter-productive.  Seems like it takes more effort to resist life on life's terms than to choose it exactly how it is, and exactly how it isn't.  Only then do I feel that I have the capacity to actually do something with it.

What do you resist?  Does it take a lot of work to keep resisting?  How else could you be channeling the energy you are wasting by resisting?

God night.

10 comments:

  1. It's nice to be proud of our children. I'm proud of Martin that will participate in a competition at school to choose a charity to help ; he will propose PUCK in honor of Bella.
    Enjoy your trip to Minneapolis and the snow!
    Love,
    Mariana,UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto...the photo is gorgeous!

    Have a wonderful trip to MN!

    'Seems like it takes more effort to resist life on life's terms than to choose it exactly how it is, and exactly how it isn't...'

    Love that, thank you! Donna/NJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the photo... did you pick it because Bella looks as wiped out as you feel? :) And a great choice of photo based on the post...you are blessed, God is good.

    Looking forward to Sunday, have a great flight. I wish I could watch Ali tomorrow, I hope you found someone! Talk to you on this side :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! I'm not sure why, but what you said brought a smile to my face today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad Ali did so well at her new preschool. She really is something special! Love her :)
    And we miss you guys!
    Love,
    The Vanderbooms

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a happy picture today. I love it. Thanks for a great uplifting post today. As always, you make me smile and you words are going to help me start my day.

    I'm so glad things went great at Ali's new preschool. That's awesome. I'm going to be starting my daughter in preschool 2 days a week starting here soon. She has an A personality but, at first she can be shy sometimes. So, hopefully she'll transition easily and learn to love her school right away.

    Be safe on your trip to MN. Have fun at the wedding and with all of your friends.

    Lots of Love,
    Amber, Craig, Malorie, and Liam
    The McLaughlin Family, CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Safe travels to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just keep inspiring me... Oh, and Tim, don't forget take a day of every once in a while!

    Jennifer,
    Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  9. "she's like a little adult"

    Understatement of the year!

    But, the loveliest thing about Ali is that she is both. A little adult AND a little girl...
    She's just awesome.
    Of course she was at ease at school, she will make lots of friends and her teachers will smile with all her wisdom.

    Love the picture, I remember taking it...literally trying to get Bella to keep those blue eyes open. :) She's as awesome as her big sister.

    Safe travels. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete