Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 24, 2011: Ho hum

Heaveno!

This is me.  Going through the motions.  Start writing.  Get the fingers walking.  Hmmm... tell you about our trip to Lowe's to by bathroom stuff for our super bathroom makeovers?  OH BOY!  The funny part of that trip was running into an Australian rugby player, now 60, in the paint aisle and lamenting together our physical inability to play the game any longer.  He was wearing a really cool jersey with a number one on it.  In soccer, that's usually the goal keeper and in rugby, the position is actually called the Hooker.

So, in my charming way, I say to him, "With that jersey on, you're either a 'keeper or a hooker!"

To which he smiles brightly, and in a mild Aussie accents says, "Actually, I'm a number 8!"

That's another position in rugby.  So we begin our talks about the great game we both used to play, and why it hasn't caught on here in America.  For those of you that don't know, I played rugby in college and was selected to play on a regional collegiate team that traveled to France and Switzerland to play in the summer of 1991.  Wow.  That's depressing.  I never realized till right now that it was 20 years ago.

Great.

So, Ali's karate is coming along nicely.  Super cute.  She really enjoys her school as well.  She's a happy kid.  We are so blessed.  Every single day, she just amazes and cracks us up.  Mommy and daddy go to karate together with Ali and watch her beam with excitement.  She is just so happy.  It's nice to have so much happiness.  I think it is safe to say we've all earned it.

Have you watched the news article about Charlie yet?  Check it out, it is SO inspiring!

Have you been to Jonah's EB Auction yet?  Check THAT out as well!

God night.

8 comments:

  1. Tim, Ang, Ali,

    That comment you made about how you have earned the happiness you feel today?

    That thing you said about how you think it might be safe to say you've earned that happiness?

    Well, I am not immortal, I am not God, and I am quite clearly never going to be able to decide who reaps which rewards from their efforts...

    But, I am a loyal reader of your wonderful story, I benefit from your travels and the stories you find as you walk those paths....

    So.

    Given all of the above.

    And with all of the provisos and the ifs and the buts and the whats and the whys, may I simply say one thing:

    You Ringgolds are so much deserving of every last ounce of happiness that we can wring from our common journey. You have each and all enriched my life.

    You are much loved,

    Fondly,

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh....yay for Charlie. Have you gotten to know the family very well? I was so happy and had tears of joy that he is doing well. Then a whiff of hope. Then tears of sadness for Bella.

    Gotta find a cure, gotta find a cure
    Oh for the little ones, we gotta find a cure
    (Farmer in the Dell tune)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thrilled that Charlie is doing so well. I tried so hard to be supportive of them...but fell short. After Bella and Elle I guess I was trying to protect my heart.

    Jonahs auction is simply amazing. :)

    Sending my love to all and the sweetest of kisses for Ali.

    Denise WI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard of Rare Disease Day? EB is featured on the website...

    Join in activities to celebrate the 4th annual Rare Disease Day to raise awareness of the more than 250 million people worldwide who suffer from rare diseases.

    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm244408.htm

    ALWAYS thinking of sweet Bella and wishing you much success in your campaign to find a cure for this HORRIFIC disease!

    warm regards,
    Jennifer Guild

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking as a read ........

    Bella looks like Ali. The girls look like Tim.

    I don't mind hearing about your bathroom remodel. Would love to hear it. Tell us.

    I have heard of Rugby but don't even know how the sport is played. The players wear long sleeved-wide striped shirts? :-)

    Hmmmm.....earning happiness. Happiness, is it given to us? Isn't something we create for ourselves?

    Enjoy your weekend.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Lowe's story. That is really neat that you had the courage to just talk to the guy in front of you and ended up having such a great converstation. That is awesome!! I'm so glad to hear Ali's karate classes are going so well and that she is having so much fun. That's great! You all deserve to be happy...you've earned it for sure.

    Lots of Love,
    Amber, Craig, Malorie, and Liam
    The McLaughlin Family, CA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely laughed out loud reading about you realizing it has been 20 years ago since playing rugby around the world.

    It read perfectly. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is amazing how positive you are carrying on with your life. I know that your grief is immense, but you are such an inspiration in how you do not allow that to take away your happiness all of the time!

    Just as an aside, the hooker in rugby is nr 2. Nr 1 (and nr 3) are called props. (And 4 and 5 are locks, 6 and 7 are flanks, 8 is eight man, 9 scrum half, 10 fly half, 11 and 14 are wings, 12 and 13 centres, 15 is full back.) LOL - I am South African, we are quite passionate about rugby!

    ReplyDelete